Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fun with Jewelry making!

Well! I have been fiddling with this site for days now and have accomplished nothing more then making myself angry and mumbling potty words at my computer! (because it is not me, it is my computer! ha)

So, it has been slow getting this set up so you can purchase items off my blog. I have however squeezed in a little time to create some earrings and one necklace. I enjoy making jewelry. It is fairly simple and with a good pair of  pliers and some simple hooks and rings anything is possible.

 If you get the jewelry making bug like I did the first fun step is to dig through your junk drawers, old jewelry boxes, and even your kid's rooms. You never know what might turn up that could work as a fun thing to wear!

I found some old chains that came with a toy that has long been lost and an old fake diamond bracelet thing that could be taking apart to add some sparkle.  I keep on hand jewlery rings, hooks, and other attaching type things, because I have found through trial and serious error that those are best not made at home! Spend a couple dollars and purchase these so you save yourself the mumbling and cussing!

Once you have your pretty pieces and anything else you might want to add, right now I am into feathers, just start laying them out. I have found that an old piece of flat styrofoam, and sewing pins work best for me. You could also use cardboard or a bulletin board to string out and temporarily hook together your pieces to see what you can create!  Once you have things placed where you like them start hooking things together. I don't know if there is a specific way this should be done, but I pretty much just wing it! It's more fun that way! 

Tip #1:  If you have a piece to attach that is flat and you want it to hang facing one way or the other. You have to hook one ring through the pretty, then another ring through the first ring and onto whatever it is going to hang from.  HUH! That seems confusing, but it's not! Below is a picture of the piece that goes through your ear, a big ring, a small ring, and then the pretty. Otherwise the flat object wants to hang sideways and you can't really see it to well!


To attach the pieces of chain I simply added rings to the end, and the old diamond bracelet I used small crimps that you lay your pretty in and then squeeze it shut around it. They look like this and can be bought anywhere you find jewelry making supplies!


Once I fiddled for awhile with how things are going to look I hooked my creation together and ended up with a pair of earrings like this!

Tip #2: When you are attaching things to the styrofoam or cardboard tip it up from time to time to see what it will look like when it is hanging.

Tip #3:  If you are cutting small pieces of chain, pretty stuff etc.. and you are planning on making earrings. Make sure you cut two of them at the same time, or cut the second one before you hook your first earring together! Saves energy because I can never get the same length cut after I hook the first earring together. Just doesn't seem to ever work, and once again creates frustration!!


FINISHED PRODUCTS!



Hope to create a few more pieces from fun objects so check back often!


No comments:

Post a Comment