Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Super Easy Supper with hidden Veggies!!

Super Easy Supper Recipe with Hidden Veggies!!!

Okay! Tonight was one of those nights when supper seems like a serious chore. You know what I'm talking about! You open the fridge hoping the food fairy stopped by and left you this wonderful meal that you pop into the oven and 20 minutes later you have a something that your family will just love. Ha! Ha! Ha! Sure! If there is such a fairy someone please let her know where I live. I would love to have her visit.

Anyways! There wasn't much there so I started to rummage through cupboards, drawers, and such looking for something to throw together.  Two of my kids are a little picky about veggies, as is daddy so I am always sneaking in veggies here and there that usually no ones knows a thing about.  I figure he will probably never read the recipe section of this blog, since he doesn't cook, so hopefully my secrets will be safe and some of his favorite meals won't  be ruined by the thought of eating a cooked veggie! So if you know my husband Mums-the-word! Thanks!

So I managed to come up with this rag-tag group of items and I threw them together, and what do you know!!! RAVE REVIEWS!!!  From all three kids. Daddy was working so he missed out, but probably a good thing since he won't eat chicken (weird) and I haven't found a good way to hide that!  But this is the list of items that presented themselves:  1 tube of crescent rolls, 2 plain boiled chicken breasts, real bacon bits, mozzarella cheese, 1 container of baby food butternut squash, and the remains of a couple ounces of cream cheese.

Sounds yummy right? Well through some trial and error I have found that you can pretty much hide baby food squash, carrots, and sweet potatoes in about anything! I use the baby food for convenience and they just really get it mushed up good. You can do this yourself and save a little money, but I keep these on hand in case the freezer is bare of stored purees! Just a tip though, keep the baby food containers WELL hidden if you don't actually have a baby in your house! Picky eaters will get suspicious!

So this is what I created!
I took the crescent rolls and laid each one out flat and smeared a little cream cheese on the bigger end of the triangle. No real measurement here, just what I knew my kids would eat probably around 1/2 tablespoon.  Then I added a little more then that of the butternut squash and smeared it all over the roll.  Next I sprinkled on a few bacon bits, and some cheese, and I topped it off with the chicken that I had chopped into small cubes. Last fold the pointed end of the crescent roll over your stuff and gently press it down on the point so it will stay! Pop them into the oven at 350 for around 12 to 15 min. or until the rolls looked done and lightly browned.

Presto!! A yummy meal with a hidden veggie that my kids loved!!
As I mentioned before I am always hiding veggies here and there and it's really not that hard.

Here is one other idea you can try out on your family if they are picky.

Home made sloppy joes -  add pureed sweet potatoes- I have found baby food works best. I can't get all the stringy things off the home cooked ones! I have added 1 1/2 baby food containers to 1 1/2 lbs of meat mix and no one noticed! Don't know if this works for store bought sloppy joes, but don't see why it wouldn't.

Well I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know what you and your family thought!
Happy craftin and cookin!


Chicken squash roll-ups
1 tube refrig. crescent rolls
2 cooked chopped chicken breasts (mine were boiled)
1 container butternut squash baby food
real bacon bits
shredded mozz. cheese (maybe 1 cup)
cream cheese ( i had about 1 1/2 ounces)

Lay out crescent rolls individually on greased cookie sheet.
On the wider end smear about 1/2 tbsp. or so cream cheese.
Smear about a tbsp or so of squash over then entire roll.
Sprinkle with desired amount of bacon bits, and cheese
Top with some of the chicken
Fold the pointed end of the roll over the stuffing and press it gently down on the wide end
    of the roll
Place in preheated 350 oven for 12 to 15 minutes. or until rolls are lightly browned!
(no real measurements for this, just add what you think your family would like)

Let cool slightly and ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment