Thursday, September 22, 2011

Falls Coming and My Slippers are Out!

One of my favorite parts of fall is the first day you go out to feed your animals and you realize, my feet are FREEZING!!!!  This morning as I ventured out in my orange plaid pj pants, old holey too big t-shirt of my hubbies, and my dependable brown flip-flops I realized something!  Okay I realized a couple things.

1. Man I need to invest in some decent jammies!
2. Man I am glad I live where neighbors can't see me in the mornings!
and finally
3. My Feet are FREEZING!!   YEAH!!!!  

In that moment I became so excited, because that is my official sign that fall is in the air!  I don't depend on the weather people,  they only recognize the area where I live when a tornado is going to blow us away (which I am thankful for) but for the most we aren't here, so since they ignore me I ignore them! I don't depend on the trees losing their beautiful leaves! That happened months ago because of the horrendous dry weather and heat!  I have always depended on my trusty toes, and this morning they were dancing for joy! (not actually dancing, my kiddos are embarrassed when I dance in the yard! Geesh!)

As I walked out to the barn to feed our kitties my toes told me that it was time to break-out the slipper shoes that I basically live in all fall and winter! Sorry Sara, I still haven't been able to locate a pair for you.  This are wonderful farm shoes! I have accidentally worn them out in public forgetting I have them on since they are so comfy! Whoops!  Nice and softly lined on the inside, not that terrible thick fuzzy stuff, who can wear those and not have their feet die of heat exhaustion (and odor)? These are soft flannel lined, fake sued-ish on the outside that cleans up nicely, and a hard rubber sole that lacks any serious tread! AWESOME!!  I realized their awesomeness quickly and hurried back to the store and bought a back-up pair, because if they are great they will  only have them for one year?!!?  Very puzzling concept for me!

For those of you who have to feed critters in the morning I am sure you quickly realize the amazing benefits of these shoes!  Not too fuzzy inside. This helps with the too hot problem, but also helps keep those little grass seed thingies that stick to everything and then poke the crap out of you later, from getting stuck in your shoe.  The easily cleaned outside, well that should go without explaining but here's a little. Animals equal: mud, sand, fur, and yep poop! Washable shoes are good!  And lastly the great bottoms that lack serious tread. That goes right along the same lines as the washable top. Where you have any type of out-door animal you have items that you really don't want attached to your shoe all day!

I try to approach all things in my life this way! Find what you like, what works for you, and stick with it!  And take the stuff that drags you down, and doesn't bring joy to your life and well, scrape it off your shoe!

So in short FALL has Arrived at our little homestead! I am sooo excited and ready. This summer has been long, hot, dry, hot, dry, and did I say hot! Our animals have gotten their spring back into their step as have I. They are awake, and moving and running for the feed dishes in the morning saying right along with me, "Woohoo!  My feet are cold!"  So in the spirit of fall I am busily creating some fall crafts that you can do along with your kiddos! So check out the upcoming blog:  Crafts with Kids for some fun projects ideas!!

Thanks for reading, and happy crafting!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! Usually I don't like fall that much but after all the heat this summer, I agree with you! Yippee for cold toes. I am sure my enthusiasm won't last as the temperature drops but for now yippee. Apparently one of my rabbits agrees too because she did quite an impressive leap this morning!

    ReplyDelete